KJ Hamler took the college football scene by storm this past season.
So much so, the Football Writers Association of America named him to their freshman All-American team Monday.
Here’s some stats on Hamler this year:
- Selected to the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) Freshman All-America team as a kick returner.
- Named to The Athletic Freshman All-America team as a kick/punt returner and all-purpose player.
- Honorable-mention all-conference as a return specialist by coaches and media.
- Selected as a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award for the FBS’ Most Versatile Player.
- Named to Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll following the Pitt game.
- Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after the Ohio State game.
- Selected to the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll after the Ohio State game.
- Named to the Pro Football Focus Big Ten Team of the Week following the Ohio State game.
- Ranks No. 4 in the Big Ten and No. 31 in the FBS with 619 total return yards.
- Sits No. 18 in the nation and No. 3 in the conference with a 26.2 kick return average.
- Is No. 6 in the Big Ten and No. 50 in the country with 109.0 all-purpose yards per game.
- Ranks No. 2 in the Big Ten and No. 25 in FBS averaging 17.95 yards per reception.
- Returned a kickoff 52 yards to spark PSU’s game-tying drive versus Appalachian State
- Had kick returns of 27 and 28 yards for a total of 145 all-purpose yards at Pittsburgh
- Totaled 107 all-purpose yards on three touches, catching a 22-yard pass, returning a kickoff 52 yards and a punt 33 yards against Kent State .
- Had a 17-yard punt return and a 12-yard kick return at Illinois
- Totaled a career-best 195 all-purpose yards, including 47 yards on three kick returns and a 10-yard punt return, against Ohio State
- Returned three kickoffs for 57 yards, including a 24-yard return, against Michigan State
- Returned the opening kickoff 58 yards, a career-best return, and added a 21-yard kick return and a 16-yard punt return at Indiana
- Totaled 188 all-purpose yards via five passes for 96 yards and 82 kick return yards, including a career-best 67-yard return in the fourth quarter, against Iowa. Also gained 10 yards on three punt returns.
- Returned two kickoffs for 30 yards and had a 1-yard punt return at Michigan
- Matched a career high with five catches for 35 yards against Wisconsin
- Had a 15-yard punt return at Rutgers