UPDATE: Suspect ran from traffic stop leading to officer-involved shooting, police standoff


CLEARFIELD, PA (WTAJ) – A standoff that first started Wednesday evening, and continued into Thursday morning, brought police and the coroner to a home in Clearfield. Police are now stating this as an officer-involved shooting.

UPDATE: Police report this all began when Christopher Kanouff, 48, of Clearfield, was pulled over for a traffic stop due to an expired registration plate. That’s when pole discovered he had an active probation/parole warrant for his arrest.

Police asked him to exit the vehicle when they noticed a black semi-automatic handgun in his waistband. Kanouff ignored verbal commands and ran down Daisy Street while pointing the gun at officers before running into his apartment on the 800 block.

Police used teargas at one point and say that Kanouff then broke into a neighboring apartment. That’s when police decided to take the suspect down.

Kanouff was previously charged by state police with multiple counts of assault, including aggravated assault. On Thursday morning the case was dismissed, with the reason cited as the defendant was deceased.


 He was on state parole for a 2018 guilty plea in Clearfield County on charges of stalking, terroristic threats, and harassment related to an ex-girlfriend and was sentenced in Nov. 2018 to 12 months to 3 years, according to online court records.

He was released from state prison on December 19, 2019, according to the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole’s website.

Police say the SERT team had made contact with Kanouff at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday night and continued until around 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Kanouff reportedly raised his gun and pointed it towards the police when an officer shot him. Kanouff died from the gunshot.

ORIGINAL STORY: First called sometime after 5 p.m., multiple departments and emergency responders made their way to the 800 block of Daisy street. They surrounded a home where a man reportedly barricaded himself in.

Clearfield County emergency dispatch says the situation is being handled by the Pennsylvania State Police.

The Clearfield County Coroner was called to the scene early Thursday morning.

This is a developing story… Stay with WTAJ for the latest.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss