(KTVX) – A new Apple update — iOS 14.5 — has arrived after a seven-month delay. The update not only gives iPhone users to power to decide what apps can track their online activity but a way to unlock the phone while wearing a mask and new emoji options.
Here are the latest features iPhone users will see with the new update:
New choices for Siri
If you aren’t a fan of Siri’s default voice, iOS 14.5 allows you to choose the voice that speaks to you when you first set up the device. In English, users can now select more diverse voice options.
Siri also has the ability to now support Group FaceTime calls, making it easier to initiate calls with multiple contacts. You can also ask Siri to FaceTime the name of any group chat.
The latest update allows Siri to announce incoming calls through AirPods or compatible Beats headphones, and supports calling your emergency contacts if you need help and are unable to make a call.
Unlocking your iPhone while wearing a mask
Instead of pulling down your mask to unlock your iPhone, or punching in your pin, your Apple Watch can now be used to unlock your phone.
According to Apple, “With Apple Watch on the wrist, unlocked, and in close proximity to iPhone, users can simply glance at their iPhone and they will receive haptic feedback from Apple Watch, indicating their iPhone has been unlocked. The new feature works with iPhone X and later and Apple Watch Series 3 and later.”
New emoji options
iOS 14.5 brings new emojis to Apple’s already wide selection. New options include a heart on fire, a bandaged heart, “a face exhaling,” and an update to the couple kissing and couple with heart emojis.
Here’s what those new emojis look like:
Report an incident on Apple Maps
A feature common with the Waze app, Apple Maps users can now report an accident, hazard, or speed check along the route by telling Siri on iPhone or CarPlay.
During navigation, you can tell Siri “There’s a crash up ahead” or “There’s something on the road.” Additionally, you can report when incidents displayed on the map have been cleared.
When using Maps, you can now share your ETA when walking or cycling to let friends and family know what time they might arrive. CarPlay will also allow users to initiate the Share ETA feature using new Siri or keyboard controls.
Other iOS 14.5 features
Apple outlines multiple other features your iPhone will receive with iOS 14.5, including:
- Apple Podcasts: Redesigned show pages as well as an option to save and download episodes so they are automatically added to Library for quick access. Top Charts, categories, and curated collections on the Search tab help listeners discover new shows.
- AirTag: Allows users to keep track of and find important items, like keys, a wallet, backpack, or more, privately and securely in the Find My app.
- Apple News: Redesigned News+ tab and an all-new Search experience.
- Apple Fitness+: Users can now stream audio and video to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices.
- Reminders: Adds the ability to sort by title, priority, due date, or creation date, and offers the option to print reminder lists.
- 5G improvements: For iPhone 12 models, includes Dual SIM support for 5G connectivity and Smart Data Mode enhancements to further optimize the experience on the network, including better battery life and data usage.
- Voice Control for Accessibility: Gives users navigation with just their voice, and is now expanding English support to Australia and Canada and adding support for Spanish in Mexico, Spain, and the United States.
Sign up for the WTAJ Newsletter for the latest local news, weather and community events that matter to you.