Locals concerned over Woodstock 50 coming on short notice

News
Music-Woodstock 50_1557501766076

FILE – This Aug. 14, 2009 file photo shows a van decorated with “Woodstock or Bust” at the original Woodstock Festival site in Bethel, N.Y. On Thursday, May 9, 2019, a judge in New York has ordered London-based Dentsu Aegis Networks not to make any further comments on the future of the 50th Anniversary Festival […]

VERNON, N.Y. (AP) — An upstate New York sheriff says bringing the Woodstock 50 anniversary festival to a local horse track on short notice could be a safety risk.

WKTV reports that opponents of the festival packed a Vernon town board meeting Monday night. Some worried about 65,000 people coming to the rural area Aug. 16-18.

Oneida County Sheriff Rob Maciol told the crowd that it would be impossible to ensure public safety in about 40 days, echoing concerns of other local officials.

A mass gathering permit application for the Vernon Downs harness track and casino was recently filed after operators of the original festival site in Watkins Glen pulled out last month.

The Woodstock festival has faced a series of other setbacks, including the losses of a financial partner and a production company.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss