Philipsburg, Centre County, Pa- WTAJ has an update on a house fire that sent three people to the hospital Monday morning.
Two of the three people who were inside the home at the time of the fire were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Additionally, a firefighter suffered a minor cut to his arm while at the scene. He was taken to the hospital as well.
Jeffrey Harris, Chief of the Philipsburg Fire Department, told WTAJ Monday evening that everyone sent to the hospital was released.
Chief Harris added that he was happy to hear there were no serious injuries. He said safety for those in a burning home is always a top priority… but that the safety of firefighters is equally important.
On Monday afternoon, firefighters form the Reliance Fire Company in Philipsburg, worked to extinguish the final embers of a fire that gutted the inside of a home on Loch Lomond Road.
Just before 10:30am, heavy smoke was seen coming from the windows of the home. The fire first burned the back of the house, and then worked its way to the roof.
As previously mentioned, a first responder (firefighter) was injured at the scene.
Injuries like this are a constant worry for Chief Harris, who has to balance the need to extinguish fires with the safety of his crew.
“We have had some injuries lately with firefighters. People don’t realize the dangers these guys go into… they’ve never been in these houses or buildings, they don’t know how they’re built, or anything. And it’s starting to get scarier and scarier with every fire… it’s the first thing you think of. You just don’t want any of your fire-fighters hurt, and you get a little bit edgy to pull em’ out sooner than you probably should,” said Chief Harris.