HARRISBURG, Pa. (WTAJ) — School safety grants were awarded to 11 school districts and other entities in Bedford, Cambria, and Clearfield counties.
Those who were awarded these grants include:
- Bedford Area School District
- Everett Area School District
- Tussey Mountain School District
- Ferndale Area School District
- Portage Area School District
- Richland Area School District
- Clearfield Area School District
- Curwensville Area School District
- Philipsburg-Osceola Area School District
- West Branch Area School District
- Central Intermediate Unit 10
The grants were awarded by the School Safety and Security Committee within the PA Commission on Crime Delinquency as part of the School Safety and Security Grant Program, which was created by lawmakers in 2018.
Eligible uses for the grants include hiring security officers, buying security-related equipment, completing safety/security assessments, and creating other programs to help protect students.
A total of almost $40 million was awarded for 234 projects throughout the state in this current round of funding.
PCCD received a total of 638 applications totaling $177.6 million for school safety projects.
Every school district in the state that submitted an application was awarded $25,000 grant last October to improve school safety. The grants announced today were awarded on a competitive basis to schools seeking additional funding.