PennDOT in Clearfield are urging drivers to use caution during the winter weather.
A period of lake effect snow showers with snow squalls in the forecast for Interstate 80 in Central Pennsylvania, and PennDOT urges drivers to reduce speeds and stay alert to changing driving conditions.
PennDOT offers these winter weather driving tips:
• Monitor weather forecasts and www.511PA.com, PennDOT’s 24-hour, seven days-a-week travel information center.
• Slow down while driving when snow is falling.
• Leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicles you are following.
• During squalls or whiteouts, do not stop on the roadway. Come to a complete stop only when you have found an area to safely park your vehicle off the roadway.
• Always wear a seat belt and never drive impaired.
PennDOT also encourages drivers to pack an emergency kit for their cars. A basic kit should include non-perishable food, water, blanket, small shovel and warm clothes, as well as special needs of passengers such as baby food, pet supplies or medications.