CENTRE COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) — Penn State University (PSU) plans on hosting a variety of events to honor the life and legacy of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
Events slated to take place will be either in-person or virtual, and they will be located on PSU’s main campus as well as branch campuses starting next week.
Locally, the events are as follows:
Penn State University Park
- MLK Day of Service — Monday, Jan. 17, from 10 a.m. to noon in room 110 and 111 HUB-Robeson Center and from 2 to 4 p.m. in 110 HUB
- Martin Luther Kind Jr. Evening Celebration — Tuesday, Jan. 20, at 7 p.m. The virtual lecture by LaTosha Brown can be streamed on Penn State’s website.
- Food Drive — Students can drop off non-perishable food and food tiems in 103 Hub-Robeson Center between Jan. 17 to Jan. 21 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Penn State Altoona
- Social justice themed canvas painting and letter writing — Monday, Jan. 17, at 5 p.m. in Slep Pondview
Penn State DuBois
- MLK Day of Service — Monday, Jan. 17 at Penn State Beaver
- Students will have the opportunity to perform community service in honor of King’s work
- Documentary: “King in the Wilderness” — Throughout the week of Jan. 17
- The IDREAM Team at Penn State DuBois will be promoting the HBO documentary that focuses on the final three years of King’s life. Click here to watch using your PSU login
- Dr. Bernice King keynote — Wednesday, Feb. 16, at 12:15
- Bernice King – minister, attorney and daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. – will join several campus communities virtually for a collaborative speaking engagement
Other events will take place in surrounding counties at Penn State Beaver, Penn State Behrend, Penn State Berks, Penn State Brandywine, Penn State Fayette, Penn State Harrisburg, Penn State Hazelton, Penn State Scranton, Penn State Shenango, Penn State Wilkes-Barre and the Pennsylvania College of Technology.
For more information on local events or events taking place in the surrounding counties, click here to head to PSU’s website.
Sign up for the WTAJ Newsletter for the latest local news, weather, and community events that matter to you.