Home or car damaged from Polar Vortex?

Local News

Motorists became stuck and spun out as heavy snow blankets Highway 175 from Middletown in to Cobb Mountain in Lake County, Calif., Monday, Feb. 4, 2019 as the snow levels drop precariously low around the north coast. (Kent Porter/The Press Democrat via AP)

The Polar Vortex that recently blasted us left a trail of damage in its wake.

Everything from frozen and busted pipes, to damage from downed branches can be found after extreme cold and icing.

The good news, you may be covered depending on what type of insurance you have. 

USA Today outlined typical winter damage and what’s covered.  Home owner’s insurance will include most winter related damage.  That’s according to an executive with the American Property Casualty Insurance Association.

Frozen pipes that burst are common with winter cold, but your insurance may only cover the damage incurred, and not the replacement of the pipe.  Also beware, some insurers may ask for some proof that you made an effort to prevent the pipes from freezing.

Now, if you’re renting, you’ll have to see what your landlord’s insurer covers.

As for car owners, it’s also very important to know what coverage you have.  Many states don’t require collision, but that’s what you might need if you were to skid off of an icy road and damage your vehicle.  Comprehensive coverage may be needed if you wanted to take care of damage from a fallen tree branch.

For a full rundown of what you need to know, check out the complete article at USAToday.com

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss