Next week the Red Cross is recognizing Home Fire Prevention Week by encouraging folks to take steps to ensure their families’ safety.
They say the following steps can save lives:
1. Planning an escape plan for your home at least twice per year.
2. Installing smoke alarms in every level, and outside of every sleeping area of a home.
3. Testing smoke alarms monthly, replacing their batteries yearly, and replacing the alarms every ten years.
4. Teaching children what to do when they hear a smoke alarm.
5. Making sure all household members know two ways to escape any room.
6. Establishing a family meeting spot outside of a home.
According to the Red Cross, 7 people die in house fires across the United States every day.
For more information on home fire safety visit: redcross.org/gpahomefire