CENTRE COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) — With the primaries happening today, May 21, WTAJ takes a look at your local candidates. Here are those running for Centre County Commissioner.
Mark Higgins – D(right)
Michael Pipe – D(left)
- Running together as a ‘team’ after multiple terms working together.
- “Over the past three years, Mark and I have worked together as a team to find solutions to the challenges facing Centre County,” Pipe said in a news release. “With the help of residents, other elected officials and over 550 County employees, we have increased services without increasing property taxes.”
Vicki Wedler – R
- Three-term commissioner, 1988-2000
- “Vicki is not afraid to face problems and difficult issues and always weighs the facts in terms of their impact on you the taxpayer,” her announcement said.
Pat Romano Jr – R
- Rush Township Supervisor
- “If elected I would like to avoid tax increases, create economic growth and infrastructure to support it, while also exploring initiatives to help foster greater pride and participation from our many communities.”
Steven Dershem – R
- Looking for a 4th term.
- “I have been a watchdog of our county budget with no county property tax increase for nine straight years. No other candidate can make that claim,”
Tanner W. Day – R
- Political Science major at Penn State
- “While attending Bellefonte Area High School, it became clear to me what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That decision (many young people wouldn’t consider) came easily to me. I knew I wanted to help other people, and serve my community and county to the best of my ability,” Day said.
Chris Exarchos – R
- Looking for another term, Centre County business owner
- “Two terms in the county and I never raised taxes. A lot of people can say that, but while I was there, we did a new jail, we did a fire training site, we expanded the courthouse twice and built a state-of-the-art 911 system. That’s a lot of capital projects. We did it all without raising taxes,” he said.