BEDFORD COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ) — Crews responded to a residential fire just after 5:30 a.m. Friday on the 100 block of Eichler Road in Fishertown.
Alum Bank, Chestnut Ridge, Shawnee Valley and Bedford County emergency crews were the companies that responded to the scene, according to officials.
Homeowner, Gordon Hampton, 58, said the cause of the fire was electrical, caused by an electronic bug zapper. Gordon said he woke up around 5 a.m. and smelled smoke but dozed off again before waking up to the sound of crackling and more smoke.
“Homeowner did a nice job of hitting it with a fire extinguisher and some water before we got here,” Assistant Chief of Alum Bank Fire Company, Travis Blackburn said.
Hampton was inside the home and escaped safely with a minor injury to his leg. Red Cross was called and will assist with donations to the victims of the fire, officials at the scene said.
Gordon said he has no insurance and although the home is nearly a total loss, he plans to repair the damage.
“It had a good jump. Mobile structures tend to go up a lot quicker than a stick-built structures. This gentleman did a nice job trying to contain it for us,” Blackburn said.
A fund to help Hampton has been set up at Somerset Trust Company bank in Fishertown.
Sign up for the WTAJ Newsletter for the latest local news, weather, and community events that matter to you.