Downtown Bedford Inc. is hosting their 6th Annual Feel The Heat Chili and Soup Cook-off on Saturday, March 9th.
Ahead of the event, DBI’s Tonya Grimes joined our Jordan Tracy in the kitchen to whip up Momma Tracy’s Chili. (Recipe Below)
The event will run from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Chili and soup samplings are set up in several businesses downtown for participants to taste, grade, and ultimately choose the winners. Tickets are still available. Advanced tickets cost $18 and day of tickets cost $25 but are limited.
Tickets can purchased online on the Downtown Bedford Inc. Facebook page or by stopping by their office in Bedford. Their number is 814-623-0048. They can also be purchased at HeBrews Coffee in Bedford.
Follow along with Jordan and Tonya’s chili prep:
Momma Tracy’s Chili:
Ingredients: 1lb of bacon, 1lb of ground beef, 1 whole white onion, 1 large green pepper, assorted hot peppers (recommend jalapenos, chilis, and poblanos), 2lbs of tomato paste, 3lbs of dark red kidney beans, olive oil, garlic powder, 2.5oz bottle chili powder, salt, pepper.
1. Chop the white onion, green pepper, and assorted hot peppers. Don’t chop too fine. The amount of hot peppers used is up to you based on desired heat. Remember to remove their seeds.
2. Saute the veggies in a pan with the olive oil. Season with garlic powder. Onions should be lightly browned but not softened. Set aside when lightly cooked.
3. Cut bacon into cubes. Place into pot on low/medium heat. Until browned.
4. Add ground beef into pot. Season with salt and pepper. Brown.
5. Once meat is browned, add all of the rest of the ingredients.
6. Season with chili powder. Usually use half of the bottle, but season to taste and desired heat.