JOHNSONBURG, ELK COUNTY, Pa. (WTAJ)– A woman is dead after a house fire Tuesday night in Johnsonburg, Elk County.
Crews were called to the fire on Mill Street around 8 p.m.
The Johnsonburg Fire Chief said because the house was full of debris, it created challenges for firefighters to get inside and locate 71-year-old Geraldine Bauer.
Crews rescued Bauer and she was taken to Penn Highlands Elk hospital – where she died a short time later.
Gerry Bauer was a mother, grandmother and community nurse for 30 years with Penn Highlands Healthcare.
Those who knew her say she cared for everyone she met.
“The loss is going to be felt throughout the community,” Nacy Rekowski said. “The community nurses, I’m sure, will fill her spot, but I don’t think anyone will ever fill the spot in our hearts.”
“She has done many, many good things in her life,” Sam Guaglianone “She probably went straight to heaven, no stopping, right on through.”
The state fire marshal said the fire was caused by an overheated extension cord.