November 14 is World Diabetes Day. Susan Pohl from the Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation dispels some common myths about Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar
- Adults cannot get Type 1 Diabetes
- You will outgrow Type 1 Diabetes
- Insulin is a cure for Type 1 Diabetes
- Sugar is Off Limits for People with Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes is a life-threatening autoimmune disease. The pancreas stops producing insulin, a hormone that is essential to get energy from food. It can’t be prevented, and strikes both children and adults. There is no known cure.
The Blair Type 1 Diabetes Foundation works to raise funds to support cure based research of this disease. It works to find ways to transplant new insulin producing cells into persons with the disease and create devices to perform the duties of the malfunctioning cells. Visit them online for more information.