The Winter Solstice is tomorrow and that means the winter driving season is now upon us. Ed Neal, Altoona Firestone Complete Auto Care Store Manager, shares some tips to keep your motor running this winter!
4 Bs of Winter Vehicle Prep
- Battery – Test it! Even new batteries can lose as much as 40 percent of their current in cold weather – an annoyance in the summer, but potentially dangerous in winter conditions.
- Brakes – Brakes are important all of the time, but even more so as road conditions deteriorate in winter weather. Have them inspected – if your brake pads are only 2-3 mm, be sure to replace.
- Blades – Consider special winter wiper blades with more rugged construction that won’t twist, warp or crack in freezing temperatures.
- Blizzaks – Install a set of Blizzak winter tires from Bridgestone. Winter tires are specially designed to provide increased traction, enhanced braking and improved handling in cold, snowy, icy and slushy conditions. Cold temperatures decrease the elasticity of rubber compounds in all season tires, which reduces traction. Winter tires are designed to remain flexible in cold temperatures, allowing them to conform to the road surface and maintain grip.
- Check Tire Pressure
- Check Tread Depth of Your Tires
- Check Oil and Other Fluid Levels
- Wipers on, Lights On
- Keep a roadside emergency kit in your car
Visit Firestone Complete Autocare in Altoona at 181 Sierra Drive, give them a call at (814) 204-2536 or visit their website for more information.