George Batrus from Tom & Joe’s Diner in Altoona shares his recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Soup.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
1 Head of Cabbage
2 Cups of rice
2 lb Ground Beef
Salt & Pepper
1. Brown the ground beef being sure to chopped it up well. Drain the grease and set aside until later.
2. Cut the head of cabbage into cubes (approximately 2” cubes). Set aside until later
3. In a large stock pot and on medium heat, add tomato puree. For each can of tomato puree, add 2 cans of water. Add enough to cover and cook all the ingredients once they are put together.
4. Add the cubed cabbage (it will break apart once it starts to cook).
5. Add the cooked and drained ground beef.
6. Bring the mix to a medium boil and continue on a low boil for approximately 1hr 20 minutes.
7. Once the cabbage is cooked and tender, add the uncooked rice and allow it to cook for approximately 20 more minutes or go by the cooking instructions on the rice that was used.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.