Down, Set, Hike! We’re gearing up for the Big Game all week with some of our favorite dishes in the kitchen. Kaitlyn Carey and Nichole Hockenberry of the PA Beef Council show us their recipe for Tiny Taco Tarts. You can find the recipe below or go to beefitswhatsfordinner.com for more information.
- 12 ounces Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup prepared mild or medium taco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (2.1 ounces each) frozen mini phyllo shells (30 shells total)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- Shredded lettuce, sliced grape or cherry tomatoes, guacamole, lowfat dairy sour cream, sliced ripe olives (optional)
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, onion and garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking up beef into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Add taco sauce, cumin, salt and pepper; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
- Place phyllo shells on rimmed baking sheet. Spoon beef mixture evenly into shells. Top evenly with cheese. Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until shells are crisp and cheese is melted.
- Top tarts with lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, and olives, as desired.