George Batrus from Tom & Joe’s Diner in Altoona shares his recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
2 cups of milk
2 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
1/2 cup of diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt & ground black pepper to taste
1. Sautee the diced onions in butter until soft and set aside for later
2. In a large stock pot, add the milk and chicken broth and put on low heat
3. Add the melted butter once the milk and chicken broth begin to heat up
4. Slowly add the flour and whisk vigorously until any and all clumps or dried flour are gone
5. Continue to stir on low-to-medium heat for 20 minutes
6. Add broccoli, carrots, celery, sautéed onion and cook another 20 minutes
7. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste
Visit Tom & Joe’s Diner in Downtown Altoona at 1201 13th Avenue, , , or give them a call at (814) 943-3423 for more information.