Go Red for Women and recognize a woman in our community who is taking a step towards better heart health!
The Healthy Lifestyle Change Award is an opportunity for Blair County community members to nominate a deserving female of any age who has incorporated to healthy living into her everyday life and by doing so has dramatically impact her healthy.
Submit your nomination to Brooke Greybush by email by Monday, April 1. Call 717-730-1713 for more information.
The awardee will be recognized at the 2019 Go Red for Women Purse Auction & Fashion Show on Thursday, May 23 at the Blair County Convention Center.Tickets for the event are $50 and you must register online by Thursday, May 16!
Jessica Lattanza shares recipes for Macaroni and cheese with Spinach and Spiced Fruit with Honey-Vanilla Yogurt Dip.
Macaroni and cheese with Spinach
1 ½ c dried whole-grain elbow macaroni
¼ cup fat-free milk and 1 cup fat-free milk, divided use
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
¼ tsp. dry mustard
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. cayenne
8 cups spinach, steams discarded, leaves torn if large
2 tbsp. soft light whole-wheat breadcrumbs or coarse plain dry breadcrumbs (lowest sodium available)
1 tbsp. shredded or great parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spra a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a stockpot, cook the pasta until al dente using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup milk and the flour. In a large saucepan, heat the ramining 1 cup milk for 2 mimnutes over medium heat. Whiskthe flour mixture thickens whisking frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in the cheddar, buttermilk, mustard, nutmeg and cayenne, whisking constantly. Stir the pasta.
- In a large skillet, cook the spianceh over medium heat for 1 minute, or until wilted, stirring constantly. Drawin well. Pour half the pasta mixture into the casserole dish. Spread the spinach over the mixture. Top with the remaining pasta mixture.
- In a small skillet, cook the bread crumbs for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parmesan. Sprikle the bread crumb mixture over the pasta. Bake for 20 minutes or bubbly.
Total fat 2.5 g
Saturated 1 g
Trants fat 0 g
Polynunsaturated 0.5 g
Monounsaturated 0.5 g
Cholesterol 6 g
Sodium 189 mg
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 11 g
Dietary Exchanges 2 starch, 1 lean meat
Sliced Fruit with Honey-Vanilla Yogurt Dip
2 cups green or red grapes (halved if desired)
2 medium bananas, sliced (about 2 cups banana slice)
1 red or green apple, thinly sliced
1 ½ c fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
1 tablesppon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Arrange the furit on a large plate or platter
2. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, honey and vanilla until combined. Serve the dip with the fruit.
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 17 mg
Carbohydrates 21 g
Fiber 2 g
Sugars 16 g
Protein 4 g
Exchanges 1 ½ fruit, 1 ½ lean meat