RICHLAND TOWNSHIP, CAMBRIA COUNTY--- Fire officials said they see increases in house fires during the holiday season, and preventing it is as simple as using common sense.
“You need to be safe and smart,” said Deputy Chief Wes Meyers, Richland Township fire.
During the Christmas season it’s estimated that there is a 15% increase in home fires.
“You need to make sure you’re not putting to many plugs in one outlet, putting cords under carpets or heaters near live trees,” said Meyers. “We recommend no more than two plugs per outlet.”
In the overnight hours on Monday a house fire was reported in Upper Yoder Township after a kerosene hitter was tipped over by a family pet. Fire officials said it ignited a near by chair and ottoman. The fire was ruled accidental.
Meyers said kerosene heaters can be bought with a tip guard so they automatically shut off when knocked over.