77°F

Fort Hood Re-opens Following Deadly Mass Shooting

The Fort Hood Army Base is open again following a deadly shooting, but investigators are still searching for a motive
FORT HOOD, TEXAS - Fort Hood is back open Thursday morning after a soldier killed at least three people before turning his gun on himself.

CBS News confirms the suspect is 34-year-old Ivan Lopez.

Army officials say the suspected shooter was an iraq war veteran and doctors were assessing whether he had post traumatic stress disorder.

The Texas army post was thrown into lockdown Wednesday afternoon after Lopez allegedly opened fire in two buildings and from a vehicle with a semi automatic pistol he had recently purchased.

Officials say military police confronted the shooter in the parking lot and that's when he shot himself. 

The injured were rushed to local hospitals.

Dr. Glen Couchman, Chief Medical Officer at Scott & White Healthcare said, "They've had a variety of injuries that we've been treating, ranging from gunshot wounds that had involved extremities abdomen, chest, and neck."

Wednesday's shooting is bringing back painful memories of a similar incident in 2009, when Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan killed 13 people at the post.

Some are questioning whether security improvements put in place since then are enough.

President Obama said he's heartbroken that Fort Hood is going through this again and pledged the government will get to the bottom of what happened.

Investigators are still searching for a motive but say it does not appear this incident was related to terrorism.

This is the third such incident at a military base in the United States in about six months .

Army Psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year for the 2009 mass shooting.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus