Fatal Fire Ruled Accidental

Fatal Fire Ruled Accidental

The fire marshal said it was an electrical problem that caused a deadly house fire.
NANTY GLO, CAMBRIA COUNTY--- The fire marshal said it was an electrical problem that caused a deadly house fire.

Firefighters were called out to the home along Springfield Street around 7:30 Thursday morning.  One neighbor noticed smoke and called 9-11.

"9-11 what is the address of your emergency: "There's a house fire off of Springfield in Nanty Glo -I'm driving down the road to work, there is a lot of smoking coming out of the house."

"I was asleep when I got a call from my mother in law and she said the house beside us was on fire."

One neighbor, who didn’t want to be identified, ran down the street to help 64 year old William Ferguson who was inside of his burning home.

"I was just trying to get in to get him because I knew he was there by himself.  When I started kicking the door in there was no response- I was yelling his name. I was very upset because I figured I might be able to get the man out but there was nothing I could do I couldn't get the door open, I did what I could."

The Cambria County Coroner ruled the victim’s death accidental and said he died form smoke inhalation.

"There was a lot of interior damage - the fire was burning for a long time before it was noticed,” said Dennis Kwiatkowski, Cambria County Coroner.

"The fire was relatively small,” said Joe LaMantia, Nanty Glo Fire Chief.  There was a lot of heat and smoke damage throughout the residence."

This is the first deadly fire in the borough in more than 20 years.

"Going back to my recollection this is the first fatal fire in our coverage area since 1983 I believe,” said LaMantia.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus