Penn State's 68 Distinguished Scholars are a significant increase from the 2011-12 total of 51 and were tied with Nebraska for second-highest in the Big Ten. The Nittany Lions' previous high was 62 honorees in 2008-09.
Twenty-six sports were represented among the Nittany Lions' honorees, led by women's cross country/track and field (10), women's swimming and diving (8), field hockey (6), men's golf (5) and women's volleyball (4).
Eight of Penn State's Distinguished Scholar Award recipients earned a perfect 4.0 grade point average during the 2012-13 academic year:
- Megan Boyer, Women's Track & Field, Jr., Human Development & Family Studies, Millersburg, Pa.
- Rachel Casciano, Women's Cross Country, So., Communications, Wyomissing, Pa.
- Kalyn Fisher, Women's Cross Country/Track & Field, Jr., Childhood & Early Adolescent Education, Lewisburg, Pa.
- Margaret Harding, Women's Volleyball, Jr., Food Science, State College, Pa.
- Kevin Montminy, Men's Basketball, So., Business Administration, Centre Hall, Pa.
- Kathleen Rodden, Women's Cross Country/Track & Field, So., Health & Human Development, Ardmore, Pa.
- John Urschel, Football, Sr., Mathematics, Williamsville, N.Y.
- Gabrielle Shishkoff, Women's Swimming & Diving, Jr., Psychology, Franklin, Mass.
Also among Penn State's Distinguished Scholars were members of Penn State's NCAA and Big Ten Champion wrestling team and conference champion women's basketball, women's outdoor track and field, women's lacrosse, field hockey, men's soccer, women's soccer and women's volleyball teams.
--PSU Athletic Communications--