Man Lost Everything In Fire

By Danielle Krout

Published 08/22 2014 04:55PM

Updated 08/22 2014 06:42PM

SOUTH FORK BOROUGH, CAMBRIA COUNTY--- The fire Thursday night that started in a basement apartment was ruled an accident, but it left three families without a home.

It happened along Main Street in the borough around 9:30 Thursday night.  David Killinger said he was watching the Steeler game and making dinner.  He went to take his medication but accidentally took the sleeping pill instead.  The next thing he knew his apartment was on fire.

“The fire woke me up- I don’t know how,” said Killinger.  "I think God was with me last night."

The 55- year old ran out to get help.  His neighbor “Jack” (who declined an interview) called 9-11 and ran back into the burning building to wake up the other neighbors on the top floor.  Killinger said if it wasn’t for his help the fire could have had a different outcome.

“Everything I lost is replaceable,” said Killinger.  “Except for my dog…. Abby.”

Killinger lost his soon to be 4 year old Shih Tzu mix.

“She was my best friend.”

The building is insured it’s unclear if all of the tenants have renters insurance.  The Red Cross is helping the families out.

“This could have been a lot worse; I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart.”

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.