Four Hospitalized after Tour Bus Crash

By Kevin Flanigan

Published 02/10 2014 05:57PM

Updated 02/10 2014 10:16PM

ALTOONA -  Four people remain hospitalized from a weekend bus crash that originally sent a couple of dozen people to the hospital.  People involved with the emergency response yesterday say they were dealing with some very difficult conditions near the Pennsylvania - Maryland boarder.

The crash occurred just before 2:30 Sunday afternoon when the driver of a Trident passenger bus lost control of the vehicle on the narrow snow covered State Route 220.
The bus was bound from Altoona to the Rocky Gap Casino near Cumberland, Maryland when the accident took place.    A spokesperson for Western Maryland Regional Medical in Cumberland has confirmed that four of the people taken to that Center after the crash were admitted and are currently listed in stable condition.
One of those hospitalized was the driver of the bus, 65 year old Terrence Shultz of Altoona.  A family member of one of the injured passengers says her 72 year old father, Samuel Boston, was seriously injured in the crash.
The motor coach was operated by the Altoona based Freedom Excursions.  State Police investigating the accident have determined that the speed of the bus was a significant factor leading to the Sunday Afternoon crash.

"That has nothing to do with the speed limit that is actually posted on the roadway, it basically has to do with you being able to control your vehicle   for the existing conditions   whether it be weather related or some other reason on the roadway but you have to be able to control your vehicle."

 While the State Police say the speed of the bus appears to be a key factor in this crash, the owners of the bus company today released a statement that said in part, "From the guests we have spoken with aboard the bus, we were told that our driver, Terry Shultz, was able to avoid a much more serious accident when he encountered the section of icy road."

While bus company officials were not willing to be interviewed on camera they told me that the injuries still being treated are non-life threatening and they are thankful for the support they have received since the crash.

State police were today were examining the bus that crashed to make sure there were no mechanical or brake problems that could have played a part.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business