Cat Alerts Homeowner to Fire

By Leah Kirstein

Published 02/14 2014 12:30PM

Updated 02/14 2014 05:31PM

MAHAFFEY, CLEARFIELD COUNTY – Fire crews encountered a lack of water while working to douse flames at a Mahaffey home Friday morning, and no injuries were reported.

The owner of the home on Bethelem Hill Road told authorities her cat woke her around 7 a.m. Friday so she could hear the fire alarm. Both got out of the house safely.

Fire crews for a time were unable to fight the fire from the inside due to the extreme heat and amount of smoke it was producing. Crews also had to utilize a frozen creek for water and two hoses broke while responding to the fire.

3:25 p.m. UPDATE: The fire marshal has determined the fire to be an accident. Damage to the home is estimated at $75,000.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Featured Coupon

.

Featured Business