In a continuous effort to create a healthier community, Geisinger offer the “Get Fresh Market!”
The “Get Fresh Market” offers employees, patients and visitors fresh and healthy produces through the summer months. Get Fresh Market On-the-Go visits selected Geisinger sites once a month from July through September, enabling employees, patients and visitors to purchase five to six different produce items, as well as pick up free recipes cards and education information. All produce is sold and sourced from local Pennsylvania farmers. Items are stocked fresh Mondays through the end of September.
Gregory Andrews, Manager of Food Services at Geisinger shares a recipe for Vegan Corn Chowder.
Vegan Corn Chowder
Olive oil 1 Teaspoon
Garlic 1/2 teaspoon, chopped
Onion 1 Cup, diced
Potato 2 1/2 pound, diced
Water 4 cups\Reduced-sodium vegetable base - 3 teaspoon
Corn Kernels 4 1/2 cups
Light Coconut milk1 cup
Frozen edamame1 1/2 cups, hulled and defrosted
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until they are translucent (about 2 to 3 minutes).
2. Add garlic to pan and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add potatoes, water and vegetable base. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
4. Add corn kernels and coconut milk to mixture.
5. Use an immersion blender to blend soup until it has a creamy texture. Leave plenty of whole kernel corn in the mixture. (if you do not have an immersion blender, transfer soup in small batches to a blender and blend until it has a creamy texture; reserve about half of the corn to add to the blended mixture).
6. Return soup to stovetop. Add edamame and stir over medium heat until soup is heated through.
Visit Geisinger for more information.